Application for a Marriage License

The marriage license is a necessary element of marriage.
Start by calling or visiting the County Clerk in the county in which you reside.

Obtaining a marriage license is a necessary element of marriage. To avoid delays and hassles it is best to plan ahead and have all the information gathered together before going to apply. Use the following list as a guide to get you started and then use the listing of County Clerk’s offices to call to verify the information for your county.

When to Apply For a License
An application should be made at least six working days (in Milwaukee Co. eight days) prior to the date of marriage. The license becomes effective for 30 days after the six (eight) day waiting period. If necessary, in some special cases, applicants may request a waiver of the waiting period. Call the County Clerk’s Office for exact information.

Where to Apply
Both the bride and groom must apply in person, at the same time, in the county where one or both parties have resided for at least 30 days prior to the date of application for the marriage license. The license may then be used to marry in any of the 72 counties in Wisconsin. Out-of-state residents must apply in the county where the ceremony will take place. Most license fees are cash only, and are non-refundable. Currently, area fees range from $95.00 - $105.00. Fees and hours vary by county and are subject to change. All offices are open Monday through Friday; closed Saturdays, Sundays and legal holidays. Call the appropriate number following for exact information.

Minister’s Information
You will need to provide my name and address on the wedding license application. This can be found on my business card or on the bottom of this page.


  • Both the bride and groom must apply at the same time, and in person, providing the following:
    • Both the bride and groom must provide a certified copy of their birth certificate. They will not and do not accept hospital copies, photocopies, carbon copies or baptismal certificates. The certified copy is a copy purchased from the County Register of Deeds or the State Vital Records Department or or
    • All documents in a foreign language must have a certified English translation attached.
    • Both applicants must bring their Social Security Cards.

  • Both applicants must have proof of residency of the county they have resided in for at least 30 days, a driver’s license with current address is adequate proof.

  • If either person was previously married, a filed copy of the final judgment of divorce or a certified death certificate must be provided, whichever terminated the last marriage. Wisconsin law prohibits anyone to marry again until six months after a judgment of divorce, regardless of where the divorce was granted.

  • Bring in the full name, address and telephone number of the person performing the wedding ceremony along with the date of the wedding and the name of the town, village or city where the wedding ceremony will take place. See bottom of the page and enclosed business card.

  • Correct spelling of parents’ legal names (first, middle, last and mother’s maiden name).?

  • Fees must be paid at the time of application. Most counties accept cash only, no checks or charge cards. Call the appropriate county listed below for current fee amount.

Office of the County Clerk
Courthouse, Room 109
320 S. Main Street
Jefferson, WI 53549
(920) 674-7140

Office of the County Clerk
County Administration Bldg.
1010 56th Street
Kenosha, WI 53140
(262) 653-2552
Kenosha County Center
19600 75th Street
Kenosha, WI 53140
(262) 857-1845

Office of the County Clerk
Courthouse, Room 105
901 North 9th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53233
(414) 278-4070 -

Office of the County Clerk
Administration Center
121 W. Main Street
Port Washington, WI 53074-0994
(262) 284-8110 in Port Washington,
Or (262) 238-8110 in

Office of the County Clerk
Racine County Courthouse,
1st Floor
730 Wisconsin Avenue
Racine, WI 53403
(262) 636-3121 or toll-free 1(800) 242-4202
Or Western Racine County Service Center
209 N. Main Street
Burlington, WI 53105
(262) 767-2900 or toll free (800) 794-7057

Office of the County Clerk
432 E. Washington St.,
Rm. 2027
West Bend, WI 53095
(262) 335-4735
Or (262) 335-4301

Office of the County Clerk
Administration Center, Room 120
1320 Pewaukee Road
Waukesha, WI 53188
(262) 548-7010


Checklist for the bride’s name change on legal documents

  1. Automobile Driver's License
  2. Automobile Registration
  3. Banks (Checking & Saving)        
  4. College or University, if a Student        
  5. Credit Cards
  6. Creditors        
  7. Employer                 
  8. Insurance (Auto, Household & liability, Health & Life)
  9. Living will
  10. A passport is necessary for travel to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean Islands as of February 2007, if you have a passport - reminder to change your name. If you do not have a passport obtain one after your wedding – note this is a 30 to 60 day process.
  11. Professional License
  12. Property Ownership
  13. Social Security
  14. Voting Registration
  15. Apply for the official copy of your marriage license two weeks after your wedding.  Two copies are preferable and one should be keep in a safe deposit box together with all import legal documents.


Photo Gallery
Contact David
home | my ceremonies | services & fees | faqs | other ceremonies | contact david
(c) 2016 David Gawlik. All rights reserved.
Website design by Second Platform
New Beginnings